Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Bet, a Dinner, and a little Trot

Last week Derek's friend from work bet him that he couldn't go vegetarian for two weeks. Of course, Derek said, "Two weeks would be easy! What about a month?!" So we're officially vegetarians...for a month that is. Today marks the first week and to be honest, we really don't miss meat. We're actually eating more veggies and fruit, which we should anyway. Neither one of us are big fans of chicken breast, but would eat it for the protein. We did research to be sure we were getting enough protein and find good veggies to eat. Derek is much better about trying things than I am. I know you're shocked!! But we've been branching out and it's been fun. I'm sure that we'll eat meat again, but probably not every night. Let's be honest, I couldn't drive passed Roadhouse every day to get to school without eating there every once in awhile;)



Last night I made vegetarian pizza with cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, and fresh basil. I think it turned out well. Derek loved it! We also had some salad.

In addition to our new diet, we've started running. We have a half mile block by our house, which we've been running around. Derek suggested that we work toward a goal and maybe run a 5K. I did some research and found several different races. We plan to run our first 5K on Thanksgiving. Both Houston and Fort Worth have 5K runs on Thanksgiving called the Turkey Trot! Our goal is to finish it in 24 minutes. Wish us luck! Houston has another 5K in January...anyone want to burn those Christmas pounds with us?!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Good job, health nuts! :) Your pizza looks delicious. I've gotten to where I really like veggie pizza! There are also so many good vegetarian pasta recipes. If you haven't already seen it, you should look at pioneerwoman.com, I really like hers. Also if you find some good recipes during your veggie bet, could you post them here? (Pretty please?) ;)

Cheryl said...

I'm proud of you two for taking good care of each other! Love you! MoM