Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hurricane Ike

Right now as I type, the eye of Hurricane Ike is probably pounding our house. Derek, Cooper, and I are safe! We boarded up our house and left late Wednesday night. We arrived in Arlington around 4:30AM on Thursday. Derek drove the whole way and Cooper tried to sleep on my lap. We're thankful that we didn't get stuck in evacuation traffic! We feel helpless right now being so far away. The truth is that we couldn't do anything even if we were there. The only thing we can do is pray. (This is true all the time, but we like to think we're in control when we're not.) God is bigger than Ike. God will see us through this storm. I think the not knowing what's going to happen is the worst. The waiting and wondering. But God knows. God knows what will happen. We were praying that our house would be safe and spared. My mom-in-law reminded me that God will also see us through any damage that might happen to our house and belongings. I had been so focused on not getting damage, that I forgot how big our God is and how He cares for us at all times and in all ways. Our God is sovereign and reigns over all! We will continue to pray and wait, but wait in peace that God will carry us through the next few days and weeks after the hurricane.

"Even though my heart is torn, I will praise you in this storm!"

2 comments:

The Cheese Pizza Guy said...

Lori --
Hi! First, I want to tell you that you guys have been in my thoughts and prayers ever since we heard about Ike; I hope everything is okay. I remembered your blog and wanted to keep in touch. It's been a busy summer for us too (and I know it's been for you as well.) Allison loves her new school; she's doing great, and is running cross country and playing flute in the band. I'm amazed at how she is blossoming! How is your new school? I loved reading your postings about it; it's obvious that God has put you there for a reason; what a mission-field! I would love to keep in touch! My address is prone2violets@gmail.com
Katie Hogue

Shannon said...

I'm praying for you guys! Our friends in Seabrook (1 mi from the water) heard that they didn't get any flooding at their place. I'm hoping this bodes well for you guys...
-Shannon