Saturday, June 28, 2008

One Year with Our Boy

About this time one year ago, I went to pick Cooper up from the animal shelter. We had been looking at PetFinder.com at little pups in the area when we saw Coop and his brother Harley. They had been rescued from being pushed down a river on a raft. A nice family asked the teenage boys who were about to push the tiny pups down the river if they could take them. The family kept the brothers for about a week and then took them to the Burleson Animal Shelter. They had been at the shelter for a few days when we saw them online. We both agreed that we liked the name Cooper and I went to go get him. I hesitantly went into the dog run with these two tiny dogs and played with them for a little while. They were laying on an A&M blanket. Cooper had more white markings than his brother Harley and was the less aggressive one. I fell in love with both of them and wanted to take them both. I called D and he said we could get them both, but it probably wouldn't be the best idea since we hadn't raised a puppy before. (I can't image having two now!) I knew he was right, but I had a hard time splitting them up. The hardest part was that I couldn't take Cooper with me the first day because the shelter needed an ok from our landlord, whom we couldn't get in touch with. I drove home very disappointed and sad. We were both very concerned that someone would go and get our little one before we could get the ok from the landlord. Finally we got the ok around lunch time and I left my teacher workshop early to go get our boy! Harley and Cooper were both there still! The man working at the shelter asked me which one I wanted and I, of course, said "Cooper." Luckily he went back and got Coop because I couldn't have taken him from Harley! Cooper was very scared and upset, especially after they put in his microchip. They gave me a temporary leash...maroon, of course, and off we went! I'm not sure who was more nervous, Coop or me! I didn't quite know what to do. He was so upset and cried practically the entire way to the Cain's house. I decided that I should stop half way since it was such a long trip home and he was upset and probably hungry. Grandma Cain had gotten Coop his first toy, a squeaky ball! We played in the backyard for awhile and he warmed up to us! Even though he hadn't known me for that long, he knew that I was his owner. He followed me around the whole time! D came home from work and met the new little boy. They played and played in the yard! Then Coop met his Grammy and Cousie Ab. (Boy was she tiny!) D took Coop home and they stopped at PetSmart on the way to get him a new collar and name tag. Coop was very tired and D had to carry him in the store. He fit along D's forearm! Here is a picture of Coop the first day we had him: June 28, 2008






July 2007





August 2007




September 2007




October 2007




November 2007





December 2007







January 2008




February 2008

March 2008



April 2008


May 2008

June 2008


Coop has learned and grown a lot in a year! He can sit, lay down, shake, wait, stay, and heel. He's a great walking partner! He's a wonderful protector! The best thing about Coop is how loving he is! He is always happy to see us and other people, even if they're new people to him. He quickly accepts them once he knows we're ok with them. He loves to snuggle with us at night. He always gives you kisses if you pet him, and sometimes when you don't. His favorite time is what we call the Weekend of Coop. He knows when it's Friday and is extra happy in the morning. He can't wait to see us when we get home because he knows we'll be home for two full days with him! He loves summertime too, because he gets to spend the entire week with me! Cooper is a very social dog! Derek was told the first time he picked Coop up from PetSmart's PetsHotel that he was the most social and friendly dog they had ever seen. He plays really well with other dogs! When we were moving out of our house in Flower Mound, I took him to Doggie Day Camp because it would be too stressful for him to be at our house. I was a curious mommy, so I watched him play with the other dogs for a few minutes. He was the life of the party. He went around and greeted each dog. They all followed him around and wanted to play with him. There was this tiny MinPen, who was clearly the smallest dog of the bunch. The rest were all big like Coop. She was trying to stay out of the way of the pack. Coop very carefully went over to her as if to tell her that it was ok to play and they wouldn't hurt her. I was such a proud momma! Cooper has changes our lives for the better! He is the best dog in the world and he was well worth the wait! Cooper, we love you, boy. You're our sweetie and we're so proud of you!

June 28, 2008

3 comments:

Lauren P. said...

Happy Anniversary to the Cain's and Cooper...how cute! I LOVED your moving announcements and it looks like you guys are getting settled...Jason is thrilled that you guys are that close to the water so hopefully we can come and visit sometime soon!

Shannon said...

Yay, Coop pics! :) He's such a cutie. I'm looking forward to seeing him again!

- Shannon

Cheryl said...

How my favorite Cooper has changed in only a year. He is an awesome dog... give him a good ear scritchin' for me!

Love ya!
MoM